Hey everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve posted something keto related! I’ve been deep in study mode and even though my energy levels are keto are pretty high I sometimes feel that lull.
Do you know what I mean? When the clear-headed state subsides and you’re left feeling weak and you just can’t seem to focus? I guess the best way for me to describe it is feeling lightheaded or a little sick. Does anyone else get that every now and then?
I’ve discovered that when I start to feel this way it’s usually because my sodium levels are low. My favorite way to remedy this is by drinking a bone broth mixture that my husband introduced me to!
It’s incredibly simple to make; just as easy as making a keto coffee!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bone broth (I prefer beef)
- Butter (I prefer Kerrygold, of course)
- Collagen powder
- Cream of tartar
- Cayenne pepper
- Ground ginger
- Himalayan pink salt
It’s so simple!
- Measure out 6 – 8 ounces of bone broth into a mug (this honestly depends on my mood and how much I want to drink).
- Put a dash of each cream of tartar, cayenne pepper and ground ginger and salt into the broth. This is honestly to taste and the more you make this the better idea you’ll have of how much you prefer. My husband measures out about a quarter teaspoon of each. I, on the other hand, just dump some in there. I like spicy food so the cayenne pepper really doesn’t bother me! Also, I hate having to wash the measuring spoons.
- Add one serving of collagen powder (the serving size of mine is about 12 grams).
- Put the mixture in the microwave for about a minute and a half.
- Pour the hot mixture into your blender and add one serving (about 14 grams) of butter.
- Blend for about 60 seconds until the butter is completely dissolved and the mixture looks frothy (like your keto coffee)!
- Pour and enjoy!
Starting off I definitely recommend going light on the spices until you decide what works best for you. I also add extra salt to my bone broth but you may think it’s already salty enough. I crave salt constantly on keto so I always add more!
I do alter this drink every now and then. Sometimes I don’t need the extra fat so I’ll leave the butter out and just heat up the other ingredients.
I hope you enjoy this drink as much as I do and that it brings you back to life!